DIY Chalkboard

Hi, everybody!  This blog post is going to be a bit different from my other ones.  I dedicated this one to a do-it-yourself craft.  Today I'm going to show you how to make a chalkboard just by using a few simple materials.  This is great if you ever get bored and want to make something, I get that feeling quite often.  Or, you have been wanting to make a gift for something and want it to have a special feeling behind it.

First, all you will need for this is a paintbrush, chalkboard paint, and a picture frame.  You can use any picture frame that you want and think would look good for what you are wanting to go for.  I found the frame at Hobby Lobby, while the chalkboard paint and paintbrush were at Home Depot.  A good note to point out, this isn't expensive at all!


The next step, you will need to dismantle your picture frame.  You are going to be wanting just the glass piece inside of your picture frame.  We will be putting the chalkboard paint on the glass.


Now you can stir your chalkboard paint with the handle of your brush like you would with any other paint.  Once you start painting that onto your glass piece, you will want to paint about 2 or 3 layers until it is fully coated and even throughout.


After you've successfully finished painting and have waited for the paint to dry, you are now able to put the picture frame back together.  I put mine back together and decided to go ahead and decorate it with some colored chalk I had nearby.



Yay! This is how the final result should look.  I decorated mine so that I could give it to my Big Diamond Sister. Shhhh! (ignore the terrible handwriting)

Thanks for checking my blog out.  I'll more than likely be posting more stuff like this as the year goes on.  You also are more than welcome to try and make your own and post comments with pictures of how you did.  I'd love to see them!

Happy crafting!  xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I love chalkboard paint so much! I saw an image of a guy who painted his whole car in chalkboard paint so people could walk by and write stuff on his car. I thought that was kind of silly, but this project looks like an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I actually did this right before school this year. I had a picture frame with buttons that I hot glued onto it and then I used spray chalkboard paint. It worked great and looks awesome on my dorm room door. Although, I do recommend waiting the 2 days it says. It makes the chalk more durable and less likely to flake.

    ReplyDelete