Self Portrait / Double Exposure Experiment

For my Photo Media class, I decided to push the limits and try something different that I haven't done before.  Our most recent assignment was create an ordinary moment in our lives or anything that was self-referential.  I developed the concept of a self portrait focusing on my background environment as a child growing up in comparison to how I am today.  Growing up I lived in the country where your closest neighbor was 3-5 miles away.  It was isolated and filled with wilderness.  Despite growing up in this type of environment, my personality has transformed into the complete opposite.  I strive to be an entrepreneur and reach for my dreams, while others around me settled with what they had.

In order to try and accomplish this concept, I took two photographs in the same location, but standing in different poses.  I used a forest background, because I couldn't find a country landscape nearby, and this was to represent my past.  The subject of the photograph is me evolving into what I am today.  I am dressed in more professional style of clothing to help emphasize the contrast of the past and today, as well as the transformation I have undergone while becoming a young adult.

I had never done double exposure before, so I wasn't willing to try it using my film in my camera.  Instead, I scanned both films and placed them into PhotoShop as layers on top of each other and changing the opacity so that it would appear as if there was a double exposure.


If you have any feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Let me know by commenting below.

Have a great day! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I don't know much about photography, but this picture is really cool! I like how you can see your face in the middle of all the poses. Is there a reason you wanted it to be black and white?

    ReplyDelete